Wednesday, August 19, 2009

it's weird.

I was transferring some of my old blogs over here and ran across one from March of 2008. What was on my mind at that time was grandparents. It's weird because two of those grandparents have died since then. Two just celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary and one has transitioned to living alone in an assisted living and is truly loving his new life.

Just plain weird.

I spent a lot of time with my grandad and granny just before granny died. She was in and out of the hospital and rehab and so was he. Ultimately she died after only spending a day or two at their new assisted living digs. I disagreed with the decisions that were made and the reasons for them in her final days. Because there are four children (my mom being one of them), my opinions were not important, and I get that.

I believe people have the right to die as they wish. I believe if they ask for no more tests, no more medication, that should be honored. I also believe in doing the right thing, regardless of who is watching. I hate that no one has gone to bat for me, to explain who I am as a person and that hurts my feelings. I guess the best thing to say is sometimes nothing at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment