Friday, May 13, 2011

The NEW new normal.

I am not crying out for help or support or anything like that. I promised a few people I would blog about things going through the divorce. I guess if someone stumbles across it when they are in the same place, and it gives them some comfort that someone else has messy days, so be it. So--here's to you. Its been a while because things have been good. But something about three deaths in a couple months and Hunter's upcoming graduation (please don't think I'm dramatic enough to equate the two as the same, but his leaving has been emotional for me, too) and probably some sort of shifting of the universe, I would guess has caused me some steps back. I don't know quite how to express it either. Not like I'm pining for Brumley or my marriage or wishing we were back together or even wishing I was with anyone, (in fact I am actually feeling anti-interested in any type of a relationship right now) but more struggling with my anger at the fact that it wasn't supposed to be like this right now. I'm overwhelmed all of a sudden when for the last year and a half almost its been a challenge but I've been up for it. I feel inadequate at times and pissed off and sorry for myself and for the first time lonely. I have more friends than ever and interested cool guys, but I just can't seem to get out of the mollasses. I'm struggling with resentment that I've made things peachy for others, and I'm not sorry, but now I'm just supposed to be OK when everything's changing. I realize its irrational and stupid and all that and feeling angry now is not reasonable. But I am.

The new normal that we have in our lives has just gotten reasonable and ok, I'll admit it--comfortable and I who have never even once had any angst about or resisted change is feeling anxious and just stressed about it all changing again and creating a NEW new normal. Ivey and I are about to be empty nesters--at least for a little while and then it'll all change again.

I know it will pass. I know it will lead the way to things that are yet to be imagined and things I have yet to even know I'd want. I know things will be great and I know I am fortunate to be where I am. Exactly the way it is and exactly the way it isn't. I have a dear friend who told me the sun will still come up tomorrow and nothing I do or don't do will change that. (thanks, JR!), and another good friend who I know listens to me when I give her "advice" laced loosely in my friendship because she regurgitates it back to me at the most appropriate times. I appreciate it and hate it at the same time because it's so much easier to have compassion for others. Heather, thanks for not-so-gently forcing me to have it for myself when that's what is so needed at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment