Wednesday, May 11, 2011

For you

After an unexpected turn for the worse for our beloved Lori, we had to say our goodbyes and let her go tonight. Just one week ago she was completely ok. Seven days ago she woke up, stopped by a friend's house to hang out, and was out playing bingo with friends. Seven days. She was fine and poof a week later, gone.

For friends who have found yourself in and out of my life, even for a brief moment, know that I am grateful for you. For those of you who chose to be in my life, or didn't specifically choose not to be, know I am grateful. Whether we shared adolescent moments together or have shared hours recently, know I am grateful for you. The fabric of my very being is woven together by the threads of those who love me and who I love. Everything that each of us are is a representation of everyone we've ever known.

I make an attempt to never leave those I care about without telling them how I feel. Losing yet another friend way way way too soon has driven home the point that this is a good idea one more time. Life is too short to wonder if they know. Tell them. It can all be taken away as quick as you can blink your eyes.

Lori McKenzie, a police officer, friend, sister, daughter, surrogate mother, golf-partner, partner-in-crime, Aggie (ugh, Lori, but we love you anyway), and just kick-butt woman, left us today. While we are so deeply heartbroken to lose her, we are also thankful to have had her in our world and to have shared the moments we got to share. "Night Pookie, Smoochies!" RIP, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment