Thursday, November 4, 2010

so on and so forth

So it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I feel like I haven't even seen more than a few minutes at a time of Hunter or Ivey. I send them text messages every couple of days to make sure they know I'm still alive and to make sure they still remember me. Of course, I'm being silly, but we haven't really spent much quality time together. Really. Once two events that are coming up are completed and wildly successful and the y-dub's year end is behind us as the most successful to date, things will be much less hectic. I have to say I'm looking forward to being bored for a minute.

Yesterday I got a call from my inlaws who asked if they could spend some time with me this weekend and it made my day, honestly probably my week. Not only do I miss them terribly, it feels really terrific to know that they want to spend time with me bad enough to make it happen. I'm looking forward to seeing them, giving them piece of mind that I'm really ok and of course knowing I will have a great time with them as always.

Heather's been out of town for what seems like a month and a half. I don't think its been that long, but I get to have some H time this weekend, too! :)

Tonight I had a rehearsal for an event on Sunday. On my way home I called the kids to find out that Ivey was going to the mall with her friend Susan and her mom and Hunter was at work. The one night I was coming home reasonably early and they were both gone. Poop. Just as I was hanging up from that call, my grandmother called. I ended up getting an impromptu dinner with my grandparents. We sat and talked about philanthropists in Fort Worth, old airports, funny family members and my grandfather told me about the day I had my son and he cried while he told me about it. It was one of the sweetest moments we've ever shared that I remember. Right there at Rosa's he told me how proud he was of me while my grandmother was gone getting him some more diet coke. Poignant, huh?

Looking at his hands tonight, his age was underscored to me and I was reminded once again how lucky I am to not only still have them on the planet, but to be able to have impromptu dinners with them and enjoy their company. My grandmother told me about her women's league softball team that took first place in the league and her co-ed team that took second last week. How cool is that? The obvious love they still have for each other after 61 years of marriage is inspiring and beautiful and makes me proud beyond measure. They hold hands and steal kisses at my kids school events. Put simply, it's adorable.

I'm intentionally not mentioning the fact that in two weeks my kid will be turning eighteen years old. Two weeks. I have equal parts sadness and excitement for him and am just plain scared shitless about how things will change. Enough about that. I'm super excited about having made plans for a girls' trip in the Spring. Look out Nawlins, we're coming--don't say you weren't warned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment